Wednesday, September 26, 2007

*insert creative title here*

What am I doing making a blog? I've been a journaler since I could write, but I always wondered why anyone would want to go public with their private reflections. I've been reading one blog for a while now, the conversion story and faith journey of a young woman named Jen. I think her story is pretty powerful, and the fact that it is out there for everyone to see amplifies its significance. I suppose I'm here to share my story, but more to gather information. The Internet is a useful tool, it seems, if not a complete distraction from the things I should be doing. My conscience and overall sense of better judgment would be less offended by an hour spent sharing reflections on my faith than an hour of folly on Facebook. In a sense, I am here to get some reflections on my reflections. Sharing a thought is usually a much more educational experience than just having one. I'm hoping for some "Yes, and..." or "No, but..." kind of comments. Help me look at the same thing from a different angle.

First thoughts:
Different situations I’ve been in the last couple of weeks seem to have a common theme. Either misguided passion or a lack of passion has been very evident lately. People are really passionate about LSU football. I have to admit that the band’s pre-game show gets me excited if nothing else. My boss thinks I don't appreciate football because I don't understand the game. This is not the case, because I did a fairly good job explaining it to my Irish cousins. My friends think I don't appreciate it because I just transferred this semester from a school that "LSU was born to hate". That makes more sense, but I wasn't a big fan of my former school, and I grew up in Baton Rouge so LSU has always been my home team. I have a theory: I think I might be subconsciously apathetic about LSU football to balance out how passionate others are. If only people had half the passion that they have for LSU football for immigration reform, abortion, the death penalty, the upcoming elections, the genocide in Darfur… something that matters more than whether or not their favorite team gets to play in the national championship. There are more than 92,000 people in the stadium on a game night. I would bet that most of them can name their 3 favorite players and what their strengths are. How many of those 92,000 can name 3 people running for governor next month and why they would or would not vote for each one? I’m not judging anyone. I know the team works hard and I respect them for that. I'm not condemning the hardcore fans because there is nothing wrong with being passionate about football. But sometimes we make choices so the cost of something is more than the value of it. There is a huge campus-wide debate about the student section’s crude behavior toward Spurrier and his team at the game last weekend. (An opposing team with a mascot like "gamecocks" and a stadium full of drunk college students only leaves so much room for creativity.) Some people argue that the student section shouldn’t have to censor themselves because of freedom of speech and the tradition of intimidation. Some believe their behavior was tactless and disgusting. I admire their passion, however misguided it may be. I wish I had that much passion about my faith. I wish I was as open about how much I love God as they are about how much they hate Spurrier. I wish I wanted heaven as badly as they want the national championship.

That was the confusing theme of the Gospel (Luke 16) this weekend. Father Than did an amazing job explaining it. Jesus was using a dishonest man as a good example because of his passion and ambition, not his dishonesty. How appropriate that next weekend’s readings are a follow-up warning against laziness. They are basically saying “Rise up!” We are all called to holiness… not just goodness, holiness. We are ALL called... not just the religious, all of us. Mediocrity is no better than apathy, and apathy is deadly. I’m not preaching, because I needed to be reminded of this more than anyone. Our faith is not meant to gather dust on the shelf but rather to be put into action daily. So I’m passing it on and hoping I will be held accountable to it. No more mediocrity! Mark Hart said, “There is no reason for any of us to become complacent. The gospel of Jesus Christ demands more, and it is just too beautiful not to give God our all.”

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Thank you so much for the link, and for that decade of the rosary! I certainly need all the prayers that I can get. :)

I'm excited to have discovered your blog and will definitely be back!